Workday planning session for upcoming workday on Nov 14th
1. Outdoor classroom
The outdoor classroom will be used to teach many different subjects and can be used for lessons that might be too messy for the classroom, or to just have another option other than the classroom.
We have a $2000 grant from Whole Foods for this project and the grant stipulates that the outdoor classroom must be used for growing edibles.
This will be a work in process and we might only be able to start with mapping out the space and having the tree rounds delivered.
We will start with the following:
- Map space with chalk
- Tree rounds cut in various heights which will be delivered – cost $0
- Shed which we will purchase and modify – cost up to $2,000
- Move planter boxes to create a boundary
2. Prepping soil for the pollinator garden
- Prep beds with soil that will be delivered that day
- District says they have fixed the irrigation but we will test it on the work day
- Fall is a good time to plant so we should also talk about what can be planted
3. Planter Boxes on TK-2 playground
Plan was provided by Molly and will include the following:
Potting bench with storage – Total: $270
- 10 pieces 2x4x8 redwood S4S – $80
- Storage cupboard (Ikea) – $70
Hose Bib – Total: $75
- Heavy duty garden hose – $30
- Keyed hose bib – $10
- 4 sillcock 4 way key – $32
Soil and Plants – Total: $790
- 4 yards soil – free
- 5 bags amendment – $75
- Coco coir – $15
- 2 trees – $400
- 3 beds of edibles – $300
Shade and Stumps – Total $220
- Umbrellas – free
- Flat commercial umbrella stands – $220
- Stumps – free
Program Supplies Total: $100
- 5 sets of kids hand tools (10 pieces total) – $50
- 5 kids watering cans – $50
Project total with %10 contingency – $1600
4. Plant 200 daffodil bulbs (from Keep Oakland Beautiful).
- Encircling trees on landscaped areas (Monticello and Fleming banks)?
- Some in pollinator area?
- Or inside school grounds in planters?
- Nommi has the the the bulbs and will bring them
Plan for TK-2 project
Map of areas of focus for workday